CentOS 7 (pre-release) tree available for testing

Saturday , 14, June 2014 36 Comments

Following our previous post, we are pleased to announced that the first (pre-release) CentOS 7rc tree is pushed.

As a reminder, you can find it at the following location : http://buildlogs.centos.org/centos/7/os/x86_64-20140614

If you want to use it, you need to use the boot.iso media (found under the images directory) , start a netinstall and point to the mentioned repository (or use the pxe vmlinuz/initrd.img files)

We plan on also having a symbolic link called “latest”, as we’ll probably have a new tree on a daily basis (until we’re happy and will have a final release)

Some points to keep in mind :

• Those packages aren’t signed (as announced, and that will be fixed the final centos-release package)
  • There is no included yum config (but you can configure that and point to the above repository , and that will be fixed the final centos-release package )
  • EFI should work, but not Secureboot

Happy testing and don’t forget to give us feedback ! (on the centos-devel list, or #centos-devel irc channel, and bugs found reported on http://bugs.centos.org)

36 Comments
  • Kevin says:

I’ve just boot to the boot.iso and tried to install for test, but I got a message ‘Error setting up base repository’ while installation. How can I fix this problem?

• Kevin says:

Also, I got same error while installing RHEL 7 beta.

• Kevin says:

And… where is the centos 7 repository?

• Some Fool says:

Generally this means your network is not connected. Please check your gateway and try the port again.

• Eric says:

Setup your network connection first, turn it on and than setup the install source.

It should work after that.

• Marc Villacorta says:

Dockerized:

docker run -i -t --rm h0tbird/centos-7-rc:20140614 su -

• John Adams says:

Interested to lean more about this.
      Can you send a link for me to develop more knowledge on using docker with apps?
      I.E. How to Dockerize an app?

• Kevin says:

I have another question. I got stuck at ‘starting package installation process’ section. What should I do?

• 花开制造 says:

pxeboot/vmlinuz|initrd.img not support virtualbox ?

• Pavel Sakun says:

Does GPG key is missing by intention or…?

• Fred says:

Are the upgrade tools going to be part of the CE RPMS?

• Carl T. Miller says:

When I tried installing on a kvm guest I kept getting different errors, some showing that a file was missing or incomplete. After making a copy of the website and using my mirror, it worked flawlessly.

Thought 1) Can we make the installer more resilient to temporary http errors?

Thought 2) Would you set up the rsync server on buildlogs.centos.org to make it easier and quicker to mirror content?

Thought 3) Yes!!! I’m happy to see c7
    !!!

• Daniele says:

Installed on a KVM host and it worked as expected. I had only to add manually the repo after the installation. Great work!

• George Machitidze says:

Anaconda crash for minimal install. Virtualbox VM.
    Where to upload report?

• jay says:

I test other distros only as an Xen domu install … can so post how to do that

• Max says:

I get error “could not boot”

• jay says:

xen-create-image –hostname=centos7 –fs=ext3 –pygrub –size=10Gb –noswap –lvm=xen-group –memory=4Gb –kernel=/home/adminjs/iso/centos7/vmlinuz \
    –initrd=/home/adminjs/iso/centos7/initrd.img –dhcp –bridge=br0 –vcpus=4 \
    –install-method=rinse –dist=centos-6 –mirror=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/6/os/x86_64/Packages/

i asume : xen 4.4 ,lvm bridge , 4 cores , dist must be exactly like it is

get the kernel and initrd from the official repo – happy testing

• jay says:

crap ! change the mirror to –mirror=http://buildlogs.centos.org/centos/7/os/x86_64-20140614/Packages/

• Nate says:

Are there plans for an i386 build, or only x86_64?

• jay says:

hm did not work – ended up with final 6.5.
    BTW the font is crap ,there is a double dash in front of every option ” – - “

• jagd says:

i have to grab srpm’s for vlc, deadbeef, kile, bumblebee, some texlive-*

and all the thing works!

• Jeff says:

Thanks Jochen, I noticed a few issues though. I left comments on your page, but overall it ran fine and I have it installed in a Fusion VM on my Mac.

• Hamid Safe says:

Hello
    Congratulations on the realease 7. Can’t wait to see the first try. Have a question and it is pretty important- most likely a lot of people like me out there-can we use the RHEL tool redhat-upgrade-tool for an upgrade from 6.5 to 7?
    I mean that will save a lot of hassles and reinstalls really. Also can that be a supported tool for the workstation and not the server as my laptop is hugely configured with apps and a reinstall and reconfig of them which is a total disappointment possibly a no-go?

• Pandapied says:

Even though i setup the networks first i still get the samme error as OP. And i use the following url http://mirror.centos.org/centos/7/os/x86_64/

• Please give us your valuable comment