Packaging and maintaining different FOSS based Private cloud infrastructure applications that one can install and run natively on CentOS.
The Cloud SIG's goal is to release the next OpenStack coordinated release Xena, planned for Oct 2021, on CentOS Stream 9. To achieve this goal, some preparations tasks are being carried out in the RDO Project:
While the results looks promising, there are a number of challenges that may put our plans at risk.
Cloud SIG is migrating all their jobs from a shared jenkins instance (ci.centos.org) to a new private instance running in the CentOS CI OpenShift environment.
The periodic meeting has been rescheduled from biweekly to monthly on the first Thursday at 1500 UTC in #centos-meeting.
After the recent changes in freenode irc network, and given the special relationship of RDO with both CentOS as part of the Cloud SIG and OpenStack project, it has been decided that #rdo channel will be available both in Libera Chat (as defined by CentOS) and OFTC (OpenStack choice) networks, although most activity is taking place in OFTC.
June minutes are published on the blog.
The Board is asked to consider a proposal for the creation of an Automotive Special Interest Group. The proposal is in the wiki.
Messaging around CentOS 8 End Of Life, as discussed on the centos-devel list
Bex (absent) provided this update via email :
Josh indicates that we will ship the zero-day updates to 8.5, and he will take this discussion back to Red Hat to ensure that this happens.
Proposed: January 31, 2022 to retire/archive content (Approved by consensus).
In the event of a serious bug in this time window, we should immediately retire/archive the content. Tie this to a specific CVSS v3 score (9+)? (Approved by consensus)
Davide : Motd update ? dnf plugin ? print a message if the mirror is missing ? This was discussed and there are concerns about whether this would interfer with automated workflows that parse dnf output. Historical precedent was offered for my auto-updating motd may be poorly received.
Thomas : advertise C8 -> CS8 procedure
Jim : point people to the FAQ
Action: Rich will draft EOL messaging, run by board, and then socialize on centos-devel before promoting further.
Red Hat is continuing to work on updates to our published Academic program, however the program, as described, has been very interesting to parties that have contacted us and we haven't seen a reason to make wholesale changes in response to the CentOS Linux 8 decision. If the Board has additional information to share, please do so. We expect blog posts from Red Hat to highlight this program this month, these should feature a change to help smaller institutions have an easier time consuming the program. Those details are being finalized, but the core of the program remains intact.
Expect more info from RH in the coming weeks
[Rich] AIUI, CPE/Infrastructure have a GDPR process, and are willing/able to handle all of our GDPR needs. That said, we haven’t had any legitimate GDPR requests in more than a year. Closed ticket.
[Rich] I took the liberty to close this ticket, since we do not appear to be addressing a specific issue/concern, but, rather, just wanted some kind of review of the existing policy. I would be glad to re-open if someone has an actual expressed concern that we need to address.
I feel like we made a decision on this in our last meeting, but somehow it was not captured in the ticket. (Note: Confirmed: We minuted in June that we had decided, but not what the decision was) Would appreciate someone updating the ticket with that decision, if possible, or we can re-discuss.
Naming for variant artifacts / experimental live image from Hyperscale SIG
Davide : no confusion / spins
Define what is a Spin and list them ? guidelines
Action: Thomas and Davide to come back with a proposal.
Aspirational, ongoing issue
Next step in this process is to open our board meetings to a wider audience. We discussed doing this after July. Are we still in agreement to do that? If so, what is “wider audience”?
IDEA : Send to centos-devel the invitation, rather than posting a URL publicly, possibly resulting in meeting disruptions.
Several directors offered corporate Zoom accounts and will look into that. Rich to follow up in a week or two.
Thomas : We need to set certain expectations of our attendees - Following agenda, no overtime, moderation
Pat: remind folks to open tickets to get topics on our list, rathern than expecting that they can merely speak up.
Rich and Davide : hackmd for agenda.
Matthias : Explain how to engage with the community
Public video recording, though not streamed, to offer the possibility to edit before it goes public.
Action - Rich to draft messaging about this to send to list.
[Rich] I will move forward with socializing the new governance documentation in the coming weeks, minus items that are still being debated internally at Red Hat, so that we can finally make progress on this.
Will be starting director interviews tomorrow, starting with new directors, for the CentOS blog/YouTube.
It’s time to start planning a September dojo - expect to see proposed dates and a CFP in the coming 2 weeks.
Rich will be out of office, and completely offline, July 29th through August 9th
Last month we discussed doing a post-meeting IRC office hours to answer questions. We did not take action on this.
Action: Rich will find the Doodle poll we did on this for preffered times, and announce this as part of the broader invitation to upcoming board meetings.
Quorum and started at :09
Red Hat continues to work on ensuring that Academic and Research institutions have easy access to RHEL. The existing academic program is being emphasized and as it is discussed with potential users examined to ensure it continues to meet the needs of this changing environment. Of particular interest is how this program can be effectively used with consortia who may have members at different levels of OS adoption but where a common platform is required for shared activities.
kmods SIG was created with unanimous approval.
Discussed issue #45 regarding naming of SIG/spin artifacts
Packaging and maintaining kernel modules for CentOS Stream.
The SIG elected Peter Georg and Jonathan Billings as co-chairs.
No SIG members have been added since the SIG has been approved (June 9th).
No packages have been released yet.
The Kmods SIG has been approved recently. So far it has mainly been busy with bootup activities and establishing packaging guidelines.
Regular meetings are scheduled every two weeks (on even weeks) on Monday 1500 UTC in #centos-meeting. Everyone is welcome to join!
We have no issues to bring to the board’s attention at this time.
This report covers work that happened between April 2nd and June 30th. For previous work, see the 2021Q1 report.
The Hyperscale SIG focuses on enabling CentOS Stream deployment on large-scale infrastructures and facilitating collaboration on packages and tooling.
Since the last update, the SIG gained one new member (Jim Heald).
We welcome anybody that’s interested and willing to do work within the scope of the SIG to join and contribute. See the membership section on the wiki for the current members list and how to join.
Unless otherwise specified, packages are available in our main repository, which can be enabled with
dnf install centos-hyperscale-release. Please report any issues with these packages on our package-bugs tracker.
systemd-oomd was declared stable in systemd 248 and was adopted in Fedora 34 as the default userspace out-of-memory killer. It monitors memory pressure thresholds and kills processes at the cgroup level. The
systemd-oomd-defaults package, which provides the policy used by Fedora, is also backported to our repository.
In addition to release builds, we’re also producing daily systemd builds via the CentOS CI infrastructure. These builds track the upstream git head and can be useful to test the latest changes and features, while also helping spot potential build issues ahead of time.
A non-modular version of the LLVM 12 compiler suite is now shipped in Hyperscale. This is meant as a stopgap, and will be removed once a modular version of LLVM 12 becomes available in CentOS Stream proper.
Because this is a set of non-modular packages overriding a module, it is being delivered in a new repository to be used as a modularity hotfix repository. This repository can be enabled with
dnf install centos-release-hyperscale-hotfixes.
An updated packaging stack (rpm, dnf, libdnf, librepo) is now available in the experimental repository. These packages include several improvements and bugfixes to support the ongoing Copy-on-Write work. The experimental repo can be enabled with
dnf install centos-release-hyperscale-experimental.
We have a 5.12.4 release of the Linux kernel currently in our experimental repository. This kernel has btrfs and Kernel Live Patching enabled. We’ve taken steps to ensure our nascent kernel process is compatible with kernel-ark to enable smoother updates and CI.
We ship a modified version of kpatch 0.9.3 that includes a few additional backports from upstream. Our packaging of kpatch also includes the
kpatch-build tool, which can be used to convert kernel patches to be then applied onto a system that supports Kernel Live Patching.
We have rebuilt a number of components to restore Btrfs support:
and built a backport of
btrfs-progs. Additionally, we have branched and built the Anaconda installer based on version 220.127.116.11 with support for Btrfs restored and a number of backports from Anaconda 34 to enable building spins based on Hyperscale content. Our version of the installer also includes the
anaconda-live package for supporting installation from live media.
A minimal container image based on the Hyperscale SIG repos and packages is now available on Quay.io and can be used via Docker or Podman:
podman run -a stdin,stdout,stderr -t quay.io/centoshyperscale/centos:stream8
This container image is built from scratch, and in the future we plan to leverage the CentOS CI infrastructure to automate the build process.
An experimental CentOS Hyperscale Workstation Live DVD image is now available. This image is currently based on the GNOME desktop shipped in CentOS Stream 8 and is combined with the packages we’ve shipped in the Hyperscale SIG, notably the live installer and storage stack software. A KDE Plasma variant is forthcoming.
Issues with this image can be reported on our spin-bugs tracker.
We ship an updated backport of libvirt 7.1.0. Due to CBS being unable to build modules, this is shipped as a non-modular package in the hotfixes repository mentioned earlier.
We have announced the availability of a mock-centos-sig-configs project to hold mock configurations for CentOS SIGs. The goal is to make it easier to build packages against a given SIG when doing local testing and development. The project currently contains configs for the Hyperscale SIG, but other SIGs are welcome to contribute their configs as well.
There are several other backports we’re shipping within the SIG:
We’re also made available a modified version of util-linux 2.32.1 that includes support for
setpriv --reset-env and for the
The SIG continues to maintain a healthy development pace.
The SIG uses the
#centos-hyperscale IRC channel for ad-hoc communication and work coordination, and the centos-devel mailing list for async discussions and announcements. As of April, the SIG also holds open monthly video conference sessions to promote collaboration and social interaction.
As of June, Neal Gompa has been streaming ad-hoc SIG-related work sessions on his Twitch channel. To this end, we have created a dedicated CentOSHyperscale channel that we plan to use going forward to promote and collate SIG related content.
The SIG tracks pending work as issues on our Pagure repository. Notable projects currently in flight include:
We have no issues to bring to the board’s attention at this time.
This is a followup to our earlier post regarding CentOS' move to the Libera IRC network.
Thanks primarily to the efforts of John "Bahhumbug" and our other IRC ops, the move has been completed, and all channels have been moved from Freenode to irc.Libera.chat, complete with the topics, bots, access lists, and supporting documentation.
Note also that we have a list of channels in the wiki, which includes channels for specific topics, such as #centos (our general/main channel), #centos-devel for developer and other technical questions, #centos-stream for CentOS Stream specific questions, and several others.
You will need to re-register your user account on Libera, as these were not migrated over.
We look forward to seeing you on Libera.chat!
The CentOS Board of Directors is delighted to welcome two new directors - Davide Cavalca and Josh Boyer - to the Board.
Please join us in welcoming them, and thanking them for their willingness to dedicate some of their time to the endeavor of steering the CentOS Project.
Once again, we thank outgoing directors Karsten Wade and Carl Trieloff for their years of service.